Workers Compensation

Legal services for workers compensation claims

If you have made a workers compensation claim, contact Peter J. Griffin & Co for professional legal assistance for your entitlements. We have over 40 years of experience in handling workers compensation claims and will work with you to resolve your claim.

Having dealt with personal injury claims ranging from road crash injuries to work-related injuries, Peter Griffin has over 40 years experience. Call us now.

How we handle Workers Compensation claims

At your initial consultation, we’ll ask you to provide us with all the details of your claim, so we know exactly what the situation is. We can then provide you with preliminary legal advice in relation to your particular set of circumstances. This will include outlining the merits of your claim and explaining the basic procedures involved in managing your personal injuries claim.

We’ll then further assess the following issues in relation to your claim:

  • Your injuries and/or details of disabilities
  • Any restrictions on your daily activities
  • Any loss of hobbies/loss of enjoyment of life generally
  • Your medical history
  • Any loss of wages suffered due to unfitness for work as a result of the injuries suffered
  • Out of pocket expenses for medical treatments, travel and accommodation costs, chemist expenses, hospital expenses, scan and x-ray invoices, and any other medical invoices or treatment costs

In the case where there is a dispute, initially we would advise negotiations towards a settlement of your claim. An application for conciliation may be issued seeking a conciliation conference with discussions on a without prejudice basis at WorkCover WA.
If your claim is still unresolved, the next step is to file an Application for Arbitration to have the matter finally determined by an Arbitrator at WorkCover WA.

pj griffin construction worker

If you’ve been injured in a work accident in WA, your entitlements are determined under the Workers Compensation and Injury Management Act (1981), you should be aware of the following factors:

  • You must inform your employer of any injury as soon as practicable after the date of injury.
  • There is a limitation period of 12 months to lodge a workers compensation claim form in relation to such an injury, but a claim may still be pursued if Section 178(1) (d) applies.
  • The worker may make application for an order for payment of weekly entitlements and also for reasonable expenses incurred or likely to be incurred in relation to hospital , medical and rehabilitation expenses and other ancillary costs. The amount for such expenses may be extended where the prescribed amount is inadequate.
  • In the case of permanent total incapacity, a worker may apply for an order extending the liability of weekly payments beyond the prescribed amount.
  • Where there is a permanent impairment from the injury, the worker may be entitled to a lump sum payment calculated in accordance with Schedule 2 of the Act.
  • Where the degree of permanent whole person impairment is at least 15%, the worker may elect to pursue a common law damages claim. The termination date for election to retain the right to seek common law damages is 12 months after the day on which the claim for weekly payments is made, but may be at a later date under Section 93M (3), where there is a delay in determination of liability, or an extension is granted by the Director under Section 93M (4).
  • The Notice of Election by the worker must be registered with the Director of WorkCover WA before the expiry of the termination date.
  • There is a limitation period of three years to commence court proceedings.

For legal assistance with your workers compensation claim, just contact our firm for legal advice on your entitlements. We believe in delivering practical, professional help in offering a personalised service that’s both affordable and efficient.

For clarity on all these matters and what is the best course of action for your claim, call Peter J. Griffin & Co for practical legal advice.

With more than 40 years’ experience in the legal profession, you can rely on the skills and experience of Peter Griffin to ensure that your full entitlements are pursued.

Our fees

At Peter J. Griffin & Co, we charge an hourly rate or part thereof. The time is broken down into 6 minute intervals and your final fee will depend on the time spent of service provided to finalise your claim. The terms of our costs agreement may be negotiated however, and we’re flexible in this regard, allowing for payment plans where necessary.

The hourly rate for our legal services is set by the Workers Compensation and Injury Management Act and the scale of costs as published under the Act. We can send you a list of our fees.

Subject to our usual Terms and Conditions, where liability for your claim is admitted, we are prepared to act on the basis of “No win – No fee”.

pj griffin construction worker
pj griffin rooftop worker
pj griffin office worker
pj griffin construction worker
Call us today on 1800 116 114 for legal assistance with workers compensation matters.
Share by: